10.2 C
New York
Sunday, May 24, 2026

Nigerian govt reviews evacuation plans amid Israel-Iran ceasefire

The Federal Government has said it is keeping a close eye on the ceasefire between Israel and Iran, while continuing to assess evacuation options for Nigerian citizens in the region.

After weeks of escalating hostilities, a ceasefire was announced on Tuesday, with U.S. President Donald Trump playing a mediating role.

Last week, Nigerian government revealed that plans were underway to evacuate citizens caught in the conflict, especially those currently in Iran.

Nearly 1,000 Nigerians were said to be awaiting evacuation, with arrangements in progress to move them through Armenia.

However, clearance from Armenian border officials was still being awaited as of last week.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs disclosed that the Nigerian Embassy in Tehran had finalized logistical arrangements to transport citizens to the Armenian capital, Yerevan, where they would be flown back to Nigeria.

Although transport by road had been secured, final approval from Armenia was yet to be granted.

In preparation, the embassy had submitted updated records of those to be evacuated—including names and identification details—to Iranian authorities, in a bid to smoothen the process and avoid delays at the border.

Speaking with The PUNCH on Tuesday, Ministry spokesperson Kimiebi Ebienfa confirmed that the situation was still evolving.

“We are monitoring the implementation of the ceasefire agreement closely. The safety and welfare of Nigerians abroad remains our top priority. We are ready to act if the situation changes,” he said.

The latest round of violence began on June 13, when Israeli forces launched widespread airstrikes on over 100 locations in Iran, including military and nuclear sites.

Iran responded with missile attacks, resulting in heavy casualties on both sides.

Figures from Iran’s Health Ministry indicated that at least 610 civilians had died, with over 4,700 others injured since the fighting began.

Among the fatalities were 13 children, medical personnel, and emergency workers. Several health facilities and ambulances were also reported damaged in the attacks.

In response to the conflict, multiple countries initiated emergency evacuations.

Nations such as Germany, Slovakia, Greece, Bulgaria, and the Czech Republic moved their citizens to safety, with some crossing land borders before boarding evacuation flights.

Meanwhile, Trump, who played a key role in brokering the truce, criticized both Israel and Iran for previously breaching the agreement.

Despite the tension, he confirmed on Tuesday that the ceasefire remained in effect and urged Israel to halt further airstrikes.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles