A Nigerian citizen, Abubakar Adamu, has appealed to the Federal Government for urgent assistance to facilitate his return from Russia, claiming he was tricked into joining the country’s military.
Adamu reportedly travelled to Moscow after being promised employment in a civilian security role but later discovered he had been enlisted into the Russian army under controversial circumstances.
According to his legal representatives, who have formally petitioned Nigerian authorities, Adamu left Nigeria on a tourist visa issued on October 16, 2025, by the Russian Embassy in Abuja. He was allegedly assured of a job as a sentry.
However, upon arrival in Moscow, his passport and other travel documents were said to have been confiscated. His lawyers further alleged that he was compelled to sign enlistment documents written entirely in Russian without translation or legal guidance.
It was only afterwards, they claimed, that he realised he had been drafted into military service.
Sources familiar with the matter disclosed that Adamu is currently in a Russian military facility after reportedly declining deployment to active combat zones in Ukraine.
The case comes amid increasing reports that foreign nationals have been lured to Russia with promises of civilian employment, only to be enlisted into the armed forces.
Recently, the Defence Intelligence of Ukraine announced that the bodies of two Nigerians were recovered in the Luhansk region, allegedly while fighting on the Russian side.
The deceased were identified as Hamzat Kazeem Kolawole, 42, and Mbah Stephen Udoka, 38, who were said to have died in November 2025, months after reportedly joining the Russian military.
A separate investigation alleged that some Africans from Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya and Uganda were recruited under the guise of employment as drivers or security personnel, but were later drafted into combat roles with minimal training.
Responding to earlier reports, the Russian Ambassador to Nigeria, Andrey Podyelyshev, denied claims of any state-sponsored recruitment drive and dismissed suggestions of official involvement.
Adamu’s legal team has urged the Federal Government to act swiftly to secure his repatriation, citing concerns over his safety and wellbeing as the conflict in Ukraine persists.


